The Family House

Dec 2nd, 2008 | By | Category: TV Locations

img_1366

My good friend and fellow stalker Kerry is a huge fan of the 1976 television show Family and I just found out that while she has stalked the home used in the series several times, she doesn’t have any photographs of it. So I just had to go out and stalk the house for her this past weekend. Kerry, this one’s for you! :)

img_1368

screenshot241

Sadly, I have never seen an episode of Family, so when I set out to stalk the house this weekend, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I was floored to see that in person the house is absolutely adorable and very picturesque. It’s not very hard to see why producers chose to use this home for a television series about a typical American family, as it looks like a house everyone would want to live in. In fact, the entire street is so cute that it looks like it belongs on a postcard or in a movie. The street is pretty much the real life equivalent of Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives. Many homes on the Family street have actually been used in various televison and movie productions, but I’ll blog about those later. :)

screenshot243

img_1365

When I got home from stalking the Family house, I found the opening credits of the show on YouTube and was extremely excited to see that the house looks pretty much the same today as it did back in 1976. You can watch the opening credits of the show, in which the house is featured prominently, here.

img_1369

screenshot242

In an ironic side note, one of my fave stalking books states that the home used in Family is the very same home used as the Walsh’s house in Beverly Hills, 90210. I really had to laugh when I saw that, as aside from the arched front doorways, the two homes could really not look more different. LOL

Until next time, Happy Stalking! :)

Stalk It: The Family house is located at 1230 Milan Avenue in South Pasadena.

1. Lorraine says:

Was interior of house used for tv show Family

2. I just saw that this house is being used for the new show “The Whispers” airing June 1st on ABC. The commercial came on and was all “Is that the “Family” house? So I googled it, and yep.

3. vicki says:

Just wanted to let you and your readers know that I recently ran across pictures from inside this house. I did a blog post on the house with the interior shots, if you’re interested. http://whollyhouses.com/2011/07/06/the-house-from-70s-television-drama-series-family/

4. Owen says:

I thought you might find it interesting to know that this very same house is used in the movie “Jurassic Park III.” It’s the house of Ellie Satler (Laura Dern). It is seen in two scenes, both of which are in the first 10 minutes of the film. In the first, Ellie is seen talking with Alan Grant (Sam Neill) in the backyard, and I’m 99% sure the real backyard was used. A few minutes later, Ellie and Alan are in the front yard. Alan is in his car, backing out of the driveway. I’ve never seen a single episode of “Family,” but I have seen “Jurassic Park III.” :)

• Lindsay says:

OMG that is so cool!!!!! It was also used in “Bringing Down the House” – as Jean Smart’s residence – which I just saw for the first time last month! :)

5. Jane says:

Thank you so much for finding the Lawrence house! “Family” was one of my favourite TV shows growing up…I have been watching Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD and have always been obsessed with this house! Thanks to Jenny’s tip, I watched “Honey We Shrunk Ourselves” on You Tube and they have some outdoor shots of the house and backyard. I am wondering if they used the interior for shooting as well, as it has some similarities to the Lawrence interior (although the Lawrence interior would have been filmed on a set). Thanks for the info! I also found the house in “street view” on Google Earth!

6. Todd says:

THANK YOU!!! I have been looking for this house for years! I loved the TV show and always said that I would live in a house like that when I grew up. This ia a wonderful treat!

7. Jenny says:

This house was also used in the Disney movie ” Honey We Shrunk Ourselves ” with Rick Moranis

8. Cindy L says:

I’m an old house fan (I write about them too) and touring Pasadena is on my wish list. Thanks so much for the sneak preview … Next, I’m checking to see if you got anything on the “Halloween” neighborhoods on this blog.

9. Colette says:

I’ve never seen Family either but that house is really, really cute.

@Trina: I just had a quick peek at the Pilot and I don’t think it is the same house :)

10. Trina says:

Thank you for the great website! I do believe that this was the house used in the pilot episodes of 90210 for the Walsh house. I will pull out the dvds and check, but that was the first home that came to mind when I saw the first pic of it on your blog.

11. Kerry says:

Linds……you are SO the BEST! You rock! Thanks for the photos girl…….you made my day! Im even feeling a little misty eyed here!

Many, many thanks,

Kerry:)

PS….Season 1 is available on rental…..you should check it out!

1. […] Cuthbert’s) house from The Girl Next Door at 1500 Milan; the Beethoven house at 1405 Milan; the Lawrence house from the 1970’s television series Family at 1230 Milan; and one of the houses that the boys painted in American Pie 2 at 820 Milan. […]

2. […] Emile Hirsch’s house is shown several times through the flick and is vaguely reminiscent of the house featured in the 1970’s television series Family – which is ironic, being that that house is located just up the […]