The Sex and the City Honeymoon House

Mar 10th, 2009 | By | Category: Sex and the City Filming Locations

img_0872-800

screenshot584

Ever since Sex and the City: The Movie premiered last May, I have been absolutely dying to stalk the hotel where the girls stayed during Carrie’s non-honeymoon.  In the movie, Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte spend a week at what is supposedly a private villa located on the grounds of a Mexican resort.   In actuality, though, not only were the Mexican hotel scenes not filmed in Mexico, but they weren’t even filmed at an actual hotel.  LOL  In reality, two different locales situated over forty miles apart from each other stood in for Carrie’s honeymoon hotel.  The villa the girls stayed in is actually a private home located right off the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.  And the hotel restaurant where Carrie and the girls drank margaritas is actually a ballroom located at an equestrian compound in Simi Valley named Hummingbird Nest Ranch.  And while I have yet to stalk the Ranch – something which I am planning to do in the near future – I did drag my boyfriend out to stalk Carrie’s villa this past weekend.

img_0873-800

screenshot587

screenshot586

My first clue in locating the villa came from fave book  Sex and the City: The Movie, in which  Sarah Jessica Parker mentioned that the honeymoon scenes were filmed in Malibu.  Knowing that there is no hotel anywhere near Malibu that looks at all like the one Carrie and the girls stayed at, I started searching the internet for a private home near the coast that had an infinity pool flanked by two huge built-in planters holding palm trees.  And I located the home almost immediately.  Then when I came across these close up photos of the house, I knew for certain that it was the place where Carrie spent her honeymoon.

img_0891-800

screenshot583

At first I couldn’t figure out why producers didn’t use a real Mexican resort to shoot the honeymoon scenes. But then I remembered that Kim Cattrall and Jason Lewis were already shooting on location in Malibu, so it would have made sense to shoot the honeymoon sequence there, as well.  Apparently, the producers were even given the opportunity to film for free at a Caribbean resort (in exchange for a pretty prominent plug of the hotel, I’m sure), but they loved Carrie’s “Mexicoma” joke so much that they decided to keep the honeymoon in Mexico.  I actually thought that joke was pretty lame and I can’t even believe they gave up a free five-star filming location to keep it in the script!  LOL

img_0876-800

img_0872-8001

screenshot585

Carrie’s honeymoon house is absolutely stunning in person and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was quite a lot of it visible from the street.

Even the pool area, which was the part of the house featured most prominently in SATC, can be seen from the road!  Love it!  Quite a bit of the property can be seen from the Pacific Coast Highway, as well.

img_0882-800

There is even what appears to be a chapel located on the property, so I am guessing that the owners must rent out their house quite often for weddings.  Even though the place didn’t prove to be good luck for Carrie, it still looks like a pretty amazing place to get married.  :)

Until next time, Happy Stalking!  :)

img_0880-800

Stalk It: The Sex and the City: The Movie honeymoon house, aka Villa Lizton,  is located at 4440 Encinal Canyon Road in Malibu.  To see the house’s pool area, you have to drive a bit south of the property.

1. Heather says:

Thanks to Andrew for pointing out Tool Academy! I KNEW I saw it on another reality show while watch season 3 and came across this blog post, after first finding your other one about the biggest loser ranch of the other seasons. (http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2009/05/07/the-biggest-loser-ranch/)
    Then I wikipedia’d it and read that Seasons two and three of the Biggest Loser have been filmed at the Hummingbird Nest Ranch, which led me back to your blog! Thanks so much for tying things up for me! I am a little curious now if this has been on other shows too. It seems like a major location that could be in hundreds of films and tv shows!

2. Keri says:

Thats awesome! I would love to visit all places that are shown in Sex and the City movies and the tv show!

3. Honeymoons says:

well at least you admit you’re a stalker! and how did you find that house so quick? i’d take that house for my honeymoon any day over a resort in mexico!

4. Nice place to have a honeymoon. So romantic. Nice photos also. Cheers. Happy stalking.

5. Aura says:

Thank you so much for this info. You’re awesome. Literally, today my girlfriend and I were thinking of planning our next trip to the resort in Mexico from the Sex & the City movie. Ha-ha!! We we’re fooled.

6. Karin says:

You’re awesome! I saw this movie several times on a transatlantic flight and thought Mexico looked so lovely. Ha ha! Who knew? Thank you!

7. F says:

THANK YOU so much for the info and the trip!

8. very nice thank you… adnin

9. Clarevz says:

What a Villa! Worth the stalk i think!

10. Jeanne says:

We stayed at a “bungalow” in 2008 just after the movie released. It was right next door to the mansion they filmed Sex and the City’s mexico honeymoon scene. Fascinating to get so close.

We had a great time and the price was certainly cheap.

11. Ciel says:

I am a huge fan of SATC. Here are some bloopers from the series:

12. Andrew says:

Hummingbird Ranch is ALSO the same place that was the rehab for Adrianna on 90210 and the rehab on The Starter Wife

• Lindsay says:

Hi Andrew,
      I did see Hummingbird Ranch on Tool Academy. LOL It was also used on The Mentalist where it stood in for Calistoga Canyon Resort and Spa. I really need to stalk the place! :)
      Happy Stalking! : ),
      Lindsay

13. Andrew says:

The Hummingbird Ranch is where they shot VH1 Tool Academy. The room that Cari and the girls eat dinner is the same room that the elimination occurs on Tool Academy

1. [...] day, another Tad Hamilton  location!  Last week while searching for the Sex and the City  honeymoon house I ran across aerial views of a Malibu home that looked very familiar to me (pictured above).  It [...]

2. [...] Pick a favorite movie filmed in your current city and try to go to all the places you see in the movie scene by scene on foot.  I think this is an especially great idea if the couple is exploring the city together or one is new to the city.  P.S.  I think this is a great surprise present.  For example, make your own “Sex And The City” NY walking tour and then surprise him/her with a “sweetie, we’re going to Mexico!” (like the 4 socialites did in the movie).  Or, California since the Mexican resort scenes were actually taped in a private home in Malibu (pictures here) [...]