The Bewitched House!

Feb 6th, 2008 | By | Category: TV Locations

img_1948.jpg

This weekend I stalked the house used as Darrin and Samantha’s home on the 1964 TV series Bewitched. Interestingly enough, the house, located in Santa Monica, California, was only the inspiration for the home seen on the series, but was never actually used for filming. An exact replica of the Santa Monica house was built on the Warner Brothers Ranch lot in Burbank and the producers used that home for filming. Even more interesting, the house on the Ranch lot is actually the complete opposite of the real home in Santa Monica – almost an exact mirror image – in that everything on the set house was switched to the opposite side. The peaked roof is located on the right side of the real house, but on the set version it is on the left.

I found this location on Zillow’s fabulous Famous Houses page. Walking up to the house I felt like I had stepped back in time. Surrounded mostly by modernized and remodeled houses, the Bewitched house looks like it hasn’t been touched in years. But in a good way. :) It’ll bring you right back to 1964!

Until next time, Happy Stalking! :)

Stalk It: While Samantha and Darrin supposedly lived at 1164 Morning Glory Circle in West Connecticut, the real house can be found at 267 18th Street in Santa Monica, just north of Montana Ave. According to IMDB, the house was also used as Gidget’s house in the TV series of the same name. Warner Brothers Ranch lot is located at 411 N. Hollywood Way in Burbank. Sadly (tragic really!) the Ranch is not open to the public. :( This website has GREAT pictures and information about the Ranch, so at the very least you can stalk it from your computer screen. Many famous movie and TV locations are located on the lot, including the Griswold Family’s home from Christmas Vacation, Danny Glover’s house in Lethal Weapon, the house from Life Goes On, and, my personal favorite, the fountain from the opening credits of Friends!

1. Stacie says:

Dr Bellows from “I Dream of Jeanie” also lived in the Bewitched house

2. MJ says:

I have read that this house in Santa Monica is where they filmed the original Gidget movie…..then they copied and reversed the layout for the Bewitched series. Don’t know if it is true or not……

3. J.E.B. says:

On an episode of “Home Improvement”, Tim Allen nearly burned down this house where Benny baroni was living, due to a gas leak!

4. Rafael says:

Buenas me gustaria tambien hacer una replica de esa casa, me trae muchos recuerdos.

5. Bob says:

I would love to visit the actual house where they filmed the series – seems silly that it’s not open to the public. A guided tour of the house would make a fortune.

6. Tom says:

I am also very curious to know if the house was re-created. I would actually make a special trip to see it where ever it was. I, too, love the layout and feel of the set and the outside has so much curb appeal to me…

7. Mark Wood says:

Hello Lindsay. Thought you and your readers may like to know I lived with actress Kasey Rogers who played Louise Tate, the boss’ wife wife on the series Bewitched for many, many years. You can find us all over the net together. I am in the process of building an actual working replica of Samantha and Darrin’s home as a museum and B&B in the Salem MA area. So, one day soon, you’ll be able to actually walk into the “real” house and back into 1964. William Asher once told me the address for the house: 1164 was created because that’s the month and year the house number was needed in a particular script. Thanx. mark Wood…

• Michel Bedard says:

Hi Mark,
      I would like to know if you still working on your project to build a replica of the 1164 Morning Glory Circle?
      MB

• susan says:

Hello, this is susan from australia, i wish to build the same home, as my dream home.do you have the ‘tv’ house plans, are they available to sent to me on email?. you may contact me on space.girl27@yahoo.com.au if you wish. i too beleive that the house should be’ immortalised ‘in as many places as possible. looking forward to hearing from you, you are a kind person Mark. much love, susan

• susan says:

Hello Mark, this is susan from Australia again. I would like to know how the construction
      of the bewitched house is going for you. I wonder if you could please be so kind as to contact me on this,as I am very interested in building the tv home as well,as it is my dream home.Much thanks for your time and effort, very appreciated, kindest regards susan

• susan says:

Dear Mark, I have been searching for you for over a year, when I last saw your above comment.
      I too would love to build the house, it is my dream house, and yes I am a little obsessed with the tv show . I am purchasing as much inside items as I can find so that when the house,…one day,….is built, I will have the items to furnish it. I would dearly love to share with you about this, if you so kindly choose. Kindest Regards, Susan.

8. gracie says:

*sigh* I love that house. I even love the “interior” layout of the set from the TV show. I’m totally jealous. :)