The Knots Landing Cul-De-Sac

Apr 23rd, 2009 | By | Category: TV Locations

img_1768-800

The first time I heard about the wildly popular 80s primetime soap opera Knots Landing  was when it was referenced in the Season 2 episode of Beverly Hills, 90210  entitled “Wild Fire”.  In the episode, after getting into a fight with Brenda over Dylan McKay’s affections, Emily Valentine announces “This isn’t Beverly Hills, it’s Knots Landing! When I got to school they should have given me a scorecard instead of a class schedule so I could keep track of everyone’s boyfriends.”  LOL  Love it!  But for my good friend and fellow stalker, Kerry, during her teenage years  Knots Landing was her 90210.   She loved the show so much, in fact, that one day she actually called up the production company and asked where the famous cul-de-sac from the series was really located.  And they told her!  See why we’re such good friends?  :)   So, since I was in the area this weekend, I decided to stalk it!

screenshot888

screenshot887

The Knots Landingseries, which has the distinction of being one of the longest running primetime dramas in the history of television, centered around the happenings of a group of families living in a beachside cul-de-sac named Seaview Circle.  In real life that cul-de-sac is known as Crystalaire Place and it is not located anywhere near the beach.  It’s actually in Granada Hills in L.A.’s San Fernando Valley.  Producers actually edited the beach into the series opening credits to make it appear as if the cul-de-sac overlooked the ocean.  LOL

img_1759-800

Even though I’ve never seen even one episode of the series, I was still super excited to be stalking the famous Knots Landing  cul-de-sac.  All I could think about while I was there was how cool it would be if  Wisteria Lane from TV’s Desperate Housewives  was a real life residential street that fans could visit.  :)   I realize that people can stalk the Wisteria Lane set at Universal Studios, but somehow it’s just not the same.  screenshot884

img_1761-800

screenshot895

img_1760-800

All in all, five houses on Crystalaire Place were used in the filming of Knots Landing, including the Ewing house;

img_1762-800

the Mackenzie house;

img_1765-800

img_1766-800

the Cunningham house;

screenshot896

img_1767-800

the Avery house;

img_1770-800

and the Ward house.

I am happy to report that aside from some minor changes like paint color, all of the houses are very recognizable from the series.  :)   If you were at all a fan of Knots Landing, I highly recommend stalking Crystalaire Place.  And please excuse some of my photos.  I stalked the cul-de-sac on a very bright day and in some of the pictures my camera picked up quite a glare.  :(

img_1757-800

Until next time, Happy Stalking!  :)

Stalk It: The Knots Landing  cul-de-sac is really Crystalaire Place in Granada Hills.  Gary Ewing’s house is at 16966 Crystalaire Place.  Karen Mackenzie’s house is at 16972.  The Avery house is number 16975.  The Cunningham house is at 16969.  And the Ward home can be found at 16961.

1. Lex says:

… four years ago, I made a vow to the moon and stars – and this website – that I would pay a visit to the beloved cul de sac. Well, that finally was a reality on the afternoon of July 6, 2013… Sadly, no Gary or Val…

2. Tara says:

Hello from a fan in the UK :-)
    KL started a week ago on Sky TV, and we will get to see every episode all over again – can’t wait!

To see the cul-de-sac in lovely close up clear views, go here, zoom in, then click on ‘street view’ :-)

3. Jason says:

I too grew up wathing Knots Landing. Very disappointed that there not all 14 seasons released on dvd also.
    The houses still look the same in the culdasac not much changes. My understanding the houses have changed owners several times and the culdsac has been forgotten about by most. Except the 80s fans will never let the memories die away.

4. Richard Vasquez says:

To all you stalkers of our homes of Knotts Landing, sometimes we couldn’t figure out if the car was going slow casing the homes to rob. But once the car stopped and out came a camera. And we always knew a a fan and who was visiting someone. Glad you enjoyed the homes. I lived at the Mackenzie’s house at 16972. Hope you got to see the house during Christmas time when we lived there in the 80′s and 90′s. I use to light up the house like Disneyland. Something my mother came to expect. We had good times at that house!!

• Richard Vasquez says:

Oh and I wouldn’t say you are stalkers…..just big fans!! :-)

• David Byrne says:

Was curious when the homes were originally built. Who was the developer of the neighborhood and are the still is business. I’m sure the interiors are nothing like they were on TV, but would be neat to see. I see the MacKenzie house was on the market in September 2010. Did it sell yet? Made it to the Cul-de-sac about 12 years ago and hoping to make it back this year. Maybe I still have a chance to get me a house there.

• LENORE MACERATO says:

There are many many outdoor scenes with the cast. When the actors were coming in and out of the homes, were they really inside the homes for those scenes or were they on a soundstage and then spliced together. I’m just wondering how many times the homeowners were asked to stay inside during those tapings???

• Lenore Macerato says:

It would be awesome if any of the owners would post interior pics. For the past month I’ve been watching KL, I am now close to the end of Season 2 and so many times the cast have opened the front doors, walked in or came out. In one scene Valene comes out of the house with Lilimae and you can see the staircase. I was just wondering if the actors were really inside the homes during those scenes or were they made to look like they were coming in and out and if they were actually in the interior of the homes, how many times during the season did the actual homeowners have to leave in order to do these shoots. I love the behind the scenes info!!!

5. Glenn says:

I saw the culdesac a couple of years ago and took some pics. It sure didn’t have the sparkle and pizazz it did back in the 80′s when the show was on. The neighborhood could actually use a face lift now. A little disappointing but then again the camera can do magic. Also saw the Brady Bunch house. Looks totally different now.

6. Bert says:

I too watched every episode of KL and Dallas too. I work not too far from Granada Hills – I will be visiting VERY SOON and take some pictures of my own.

7. nora says:

BONJOUR
    je suis Francaise et je suis une grande fan de Cote Ouest que je ne rate en aucun cas sur vivolta donc si vous étes comme moi faites un petit coucou bye bye

• Pierre says:

bonjour,
      moi aussi je suis fan de la serie cote oues et je ne sais pas l’expliquer.Je suis cette serie depuis mon enfance j’ai 35 ans.
      j’ai eu moi aussi l’occasion d’aller à Los Angeles et j’ ai fait un détour par GRANADA hills pour voir les maisons de la serie a plus et vive Vivolta

8. Nassima says:

Bonjour, j’ai regardé Côte Ouest dans les années 90, sauf que je n’ai pas pu suivre tous les épisodes car j’étais jeune et j’habitais chez mes parents et chez nous la pudeur est de rigueur car je suis musulmane pratiquante, avec mes parents on ne regarde pas ce genre de films…C’est trop crash!
    Maintenant quelques années après, je peux regarder enfin les séries et films que je veux, j’ai ma propre maison. Je remercie Vivolta qui repasse cette série magnifique, j’aime beaucoup les acteurs, surtout Valène et Gary et les autres bien sûr. J’aimerais avoir une vraie photo des acteurs, mais comment faire. Je vis en France et je suis franco-algérienne et eux sont américains et vivent aux États Unis :(
    Dommage dans les série amerloques, on ne voit jamais des couple arabes avec des prénoms arabes comme le mien. Car mine de rien ces séries sont surtout suivies par des femmes et jeunes filles au foyer du monde arabe qui laissent même bruler leurs marmites sur le feu parce qu’elles ne ratent aucune once de scènes….
    Salam!
    Bisous.
    Nassima

• nora says:

salut
      je suis aussi une fan de cote ouest et j ai revu et revu et revu lais je m en lasse jamais c est une serie comme il n en font plu mais je regarde encore aujourd hui a la prochaine

9. larry says:

I was married in 1991 and vacationed in California cause i am a huge Oakland Raiders Fan,and my favorite show was Knots Landing after a long search of the filming location,i found all the houses used in the show as well as the interior sets in sony studios in culver city.I was in heaven,what a great experience

• Romano D'Andrea says:

Hi Larry, I read your posting on Knots Landing. I’m working on a documentary series on the history of television. We are going to California to interview some of the stars of the series and to visit the cul-de-sac made famous by the series. Larry since your such a big fan we thought it might be interesting to get your perspective on the series. Where do you live? would you be interested in chatting about your experience.
      You can email me at romano@planetworks.tv or call me collect or text me at 1-416-937-6542
      Hope to hear from you soon.
      Romano

• Richard Vasquez says:

Romano. You should speak to one of the former residents of the cul-de-sac during the 14 years of filming. My mother and stepfather. I lived there as a kid but they lived there through all of the series. You can reach me at thericster67@yahoo.com

• Gary Hundley says:

Hi Larry and Hi Romano, I have also had the thrill to visit both the Knot’s Sound Stage in Culver City and the real homes during a taping of Knots. Very interesting to see the interior of the homes. Also interesting to see the Granada Hills Country Club which was actually used on Knots as part of “Lotus Point.” I loved the show! Big Fan! Willing to talk!

• Charles says:

Larry,

How exciting that you got to see the interior sets? Are they shown on the studio tour? Did you take any pictures? I’ve always wondered where (and if) the studios keep sets of canceled television shows. If you did take pictures of the interior sets, I would love copies. You can E-mail me at rcejr14@gmail.com.

Charles

10. patricia says:

bonjour je suis francaise et j adore cote ouest existe t il des dvd de cete srie merci

11. CijiDunne says:

OMG! Love this! I had to be Knots Landing #1 Fan! I even wanted to get my license plate to read: Knots Fan! I want to stalk this area too if and when I ever get out to CA! Thanks for posting!

12. David says:

Hey Lindsey,

In the early 80′s I lived out in Newbury Park. There was a neighborhood not far from Newbury Park High School that also stood in for one of the streets in the movie. I believe it was the exterior of one of the relative’s homes. We lived in the 3800 block of Coronado Circle and I believe the house was just a couple of blocks from there. Also, the Borchard Community Center in Newbury Park was used as a stand-in as the exterior of one of the kid’s schools. I never watched the show so I’m not sure but I remember seeing Ted Shackleford driving around Newbury Park quite a bit.

Of course, the back roads out of Newbury Park toward Westlake Village lead to Hidden Valley where Dukes of Hazzard and several episodes of ’24′ were filmed.

13. Lex says:

I, too, am a captive fan of Knots Landing; I first learned of the series at the time of Sid Fairgate’s tragic passing. I believe strongly that Season 4 was the best of Knots, centering around the life and times of singer Ciji Dunne, and of course Karen’s marriage to Mack MacKenzie. I’ll be vacationing out west myself soon, and am considering a visit to Seaview Circle…. I hope Gary and Val will be home….

14. Daniel says:

Wow, great stuff. I lived in Southern California for a few years before moving back to rural Michigan. I loved to go to places that were shot for tv and movies, take some pictures and maybe talk to the locals. SoCal is full of them. Good job. The Valey if full of places like this. I always felt sorry for the people who own the Brady house.

15. Tony says:

Great, great, great find! I am proud, (and embarrased), to say that I was a Knots Landing fan. My Dad was doing some work on the show and my Mom controlled our only TV, so, that’s what we watched. I also had a chance to meet Michele Lee and Donna Mills at one of them Hollywood type parties. I wasn’t usually star struck but Donna Mills was so strikingly beautiful that I was…speechless. Thanks, Lindsay, for this great entry.

16. Kerry says:

I am SO excited you made it to the hood……..there was alot of drama going on there back in the day! Too bad the entire series isnt on DVD cause I would have to insist you watch it. Seasons 1 and 2 are though…..just something to think about!

GREAT pics, LOVE them!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!

Kerry